"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

D&D 3e - Book of Challenges


This is a book that I fixated on for a long period of time. It was released in 2002 for the 3e so I was not going to buy it new. I had heard good things about it and wanted to buy it but it always seemed to elude me on eBay and other online sites. I didn't want to pay full price for it and even what I paid at HPB was not what I wanted to pay for a book from a system I knew I would most likely never play.

The book almost lived up to the expectations that had been built up in my mind. It went a little beyond the idea of the Book of Lairs as it contains some encounters that aren't lair based. The situations contained in the book range from fun to deadly and from creative to contrived.  Overall they are better than average in quality. The book shines more in the sidebars and advice that it offers though.

From the back of the book:

Danger Around Every Corner and Behind Every Screen!

The greatest threat to any adventuring party is a devious Dungeon Master. This book is spring-loaded with ideas, both subtle and sinister, that will ensure every gaming session is appropriately hazardous, including:

    * Over fifty encounters designed to be dropped into any campaign.
    * Scalable scenarios that can be pitted against characters from 1st to 20th level.
    * Advice for creating your own deceptive and deadly situations.

Dungeon Masters who want to keep their players on their toes will be inspired by the invaluable material within these pages.

To use this accessory, a Dungeon Master also needs the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual.

1 comment:

Mystic Scholar said...

I have this publication, but its been years. Now that you've brought it up, I'll have to dig it out and give it another going over!

Thanks for the reminder!

Popular Posts